Hello there, my name is Breezy. My world revolves around animal rights, veganism, my music, and my dogs.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Vegan Freak!

At the age of 14 I went on an East Coast trip with my 8th grade class, where I fell in love with a pig and vowed never to eat meat again (and to this day… I still haven’t)… and 5 years later I came to the realization that consuming dairy and animal by product was still contributing to the horrific industry of animal exploitation. So a little over a year ago I did my research and filled my mind with information and finally made the switch to being a full fledged Vegan. And as most of my friends know, I was (and still am) very passionate in my choice of diet and lifestyle. I say lifestyle because Veganism is not just a strict diet that I follow… it is truly a way of life for me. It goes beyond what I eat… into the shoes I wear and the shampoo I use… the soap I wash my body with and the makeup I put on my skin. It goes as far as the company’s I’ll buy products from and the corporations I refuse to even be seen in the parking lot of. It’s undoubtedly (along with music) the most prominent part of my life, seeing as how it is something I stand for every single day with every single choice I make. But it’s not something that I force upon anyone else or try to shove down peoples throats. Just like religion, I see it as a personal choice that I have made that may not be someone else’s cup of tea. (Though I do believe the world would be a much better place if animal exploitation and consumption was off the map)
Seeing as how I am one of the only vegans that my friends know… I tend to be the person people go to for random trivia and interesting information (usually pertaining to veganism), and lately I’ve been getting a lot of random questions again. And in my natural character of wanting to have all the answers… I decided it’s time to freshen up on my vegan know-how and knowledge so that I can once again have some good intelligent debates. And maybe win over a few hearts in the process. So, I purchased a few more books to add to my collection. Last night I started reading one called “Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World” and I cannot even explain how inspiring this book is. If I weren’t already vegan… I would have converted by the 15th page… and if I were to ever stray and think about eating animal products again… I’d just need to turn to this book for encouragement and good reason to stay on course with my current lifestyle. There are so many good points and pages I wish I could quote, but all I’ll say is that it’s a book everyone should read. It’s puts Veganism in the most beautiful light and just shows that we are compassionate people who won’t stand for suffering in our name. It’s re-igniting my passion in a way I can’t even explain. Reaffirms my idea that what I’m doing is right and nothing should sway my convictions. And nothing will. I am proud to be part of a movement that “is the expression of this desire for justice, a visceral and logical reaction to the horrors visited on others in our name”. I really don’t mind being a freak if “normal” is eating and causing suffering and death to innocent, sentient, beautiful creatures. I have never been more proud to call myself a Vegan. Thank you, Bob and Jenna Torres for re-igniting my flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment