Hello there, my name is Breezy. My world revolves around animal rights, veganism, my music, and my dogs.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Earth Day!

Alright, so tomorrow is Earth Day! I don't know if everyone else is stoked... but I am. Sadly, I'll be at work all day so I won't be able to participate in any events or anything like that, but there are plenty of other ways in which I will participate in the celebration of our lovely planet. So I thought I'd compile a list of small, random, easy things that anyone can do to help make even a small impact... some may seem silly... but they really do add up. Now, I'm no expert on environmentalism, and a lot of these things I, myself, have to work on as well... but I thought it'd be fun to compile what I could think of... and attempt to follow them as best I can.... and encourage others to do the same... as well as anything else they can to help impact this place.

  • For starters... the biggest thing anyone can do to help the environment is Give up Meat and Animal Products. The factory farming industry and animal enterprises are the single largest contributor to this planets depletion. Veganism is environmentalism
  • Walk or Bike instead of Drive
  • Turn lights off that aren't needed
  • Turn off and Unplug what's not being used 
  • Buy and start using a water canteen instead of plastic water bottles
  • Start a recycling bin at your work or home
  • Take shorter showers
  • If you're a Starbucks junkie, bring a reusable cup with you
  • Air dry your hands after washing, or use reusable cloth, rather than paper towels
  • Purchase only Organic and Local produce 
  • Don't watch television, go outside and take your pet for a walk 
  • Wash your clothes/hands/dishes/anything... in cold water
  • Plant a tree or garden 
  • If you spot litter... pick it up and put it where it belongs 
  • Turn off the water while brushing your teeth 
  • Take a reusable lunchpale to work, not a lunch bag
  • Use tupper-ware, not plastic bags
  • Use reusable bags at the grocery store 
  • Don't use the air conditioner or heater
  • Get off the computer for a while and read a book 
  • Use Eco-friendly and cruelty free household and cleaning products
  • Buy Less! (as Tonya Kay would say... the Non-Consumer is the Green-Consumer)
  • Donate old clothes
  • Don't print it if it's not absolutely necessary 
  • Opt to go Paperless - pay your bills online 

I know I'm missing a lot of things... but my brain is slowing turning off, and that's what I've come up with. 25 simple things you can try to do tomorrow... and try to continue doing from here on out, to make whatever impact you can in saving this precious place we like to call our home. <3






1 comment: